Greetings Oregon and SW Washington Pastoral Musicians,Welcome to the month of September!
Your NPM Portland Oregon Board members have planned four meetings and presentations for all pastoral musicians in the coming year. The first is Saturday morning, September 28. More information is available in this e-mail below. There will be other local events announced throughout the year as the information becomes available.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the local pastoral musicians Membership Dues survey earlier this year. The results are: $35.00 individual membership/per year; and, $100.00 parish music ministry membership/per year. What do you receive with your local membership? Pastoral and spiritual formation and programming as well as discounts to local fee-based events. Membership dues may be paid beginning at the September Chapter meeting. More information to follow about method of payment. (Please note: This is for local Oregon Chapter dues which is separate from a membership for the National Association of Pastoral Musicians).
Please see the remainder of this e-mail for the meeting schedule as well as other opportunities in the Archdiocese of Portland. I look forward to seeing you on Saturday, September 28.
Peace and Blessings,Agnes Zueger
NPM Portland Oregon Events and meeting 2019-2020 schedule
Tentative month, date and time (watch for future e-newsletters):
Saturday, September 28, 2019 – 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
St Clare Catholic Church, 8535 SW 19th Ave., Portland, Oregon 97219
Host(s): Michael Pace and Suz Ruddock, Music Directors
Special Note: A Church renovation project was completed this summer. Michael and Suz would be glad to give you a tour!
9:00 AM: fellowship and refreshments. beverages will be provided; please bring a snack to share
9:30 – 11:00 AM: Meeting Agenda in two parts:
1) Sharing New Songs & Hymns: Please bring a new piece of music with piano accompaniment to share (about 15-20 copies; for workshop use only) that you will be introducing to your congregation and choir this year.
2) Presentation and Discussion on “good practices” for Service Music led by Michael Prendergast and Wendy Hein, NPM Oregon Board Members. Questions to consider: How do you prepare for liturgical music? How do you introduce new music? Who plans the music: more than one person, more than one group, just one person? What tools/materials do you use to aid in planning?
Board meeting: 11 AM – 12 noon
All are welcome to attend!
Saturday, November 9, 2019: Morning of Reflection for Pastoral Musicians
9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Host Parish: St. Ignatius Catholic Church, SE Portland, Oregon
Fee-based event; discount available for individual and parish membership
November 22: St. Cecilia Day (Patron Saint of Musicians) – celebrate your music ministry. Advertise your ministry event here.
Saturday, March 14, 2020: Will you and your parish host the meeting?
Morning meeting and Presentation entitled “Celebrating Feasts and Seasons: How we gather as one parish, one community”
March 21, 2020: Bernadette Farrell at the University of Portland. More information to follow.
Saturday, May 9, 2020: Will you and your parish host the meeting?
Morning meeting and Presentation entitled “Volunteer Management: Working with your ministry in building a cohesive community; Best practices in supporting volunteers”
June 22, 2020 at 6:00 PM: Social gathering of local pastoral musicians; host: Michael Prendergast
Summer 2020: Cantor Workshop (planning under discussion)
July 7-10, 2020: NPM National Convention in Louisville, Kentucky
Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon Events
Fall Parish Leaders Day – three (3) different dates and locations: September 7, September 21 and October 12
The parish leadership day is an opportunity for any and all leaders to gather, pray, and take a step back and look at how our parishes can be places of accompaniment and missionary discipleship. Whether you are a catechist, a liturgical minister, pastoral musician or bring communion to the homebound, this will be a great opportunity. You can find out more on the Archdiocese website at: https://evangelization.archdpdx.org/parish-leaders-day
Online Learning Opportunities: Fall 2019
NPM National Office in partnership with Liturgical Training Publications offers online learning opportunities. Two of these opportunities from The Essentials of Catholic Liturgy: A Foundational Course for Pastoral, Liturgical and Music Ministers (ECL), a three-track series that we often refer to as “ECL,” and the third is a Virtual Workshop:Cantor Series. Consider participating in one or more of the following online programs this Fall.
- Track 1 of ECL, The Essentials of Catholic Liturgy: The Basics of Liturgy, is a six-week virtual learning program and is being offered beginning August 19, 2019. Registration is $150.00 per person and is open through August 12. This is a wonderful way to learn the basics of Catholic liturgy online right from your own home. Read more details and registration information at https://teocl.org/tracks/ECLT1 about Track 1 of ECL. Register now – the deadline is August 12th!
- Track 2 of ECL, The Essentials of Catholic Liturgy: Sacramental Rites and Other Parish Liturgies, another six-week online course, is being offered beginning October 14, 2019. This digital offering builds upon the basics learned in Track 1, and will cover sacramental rites and other parish liturgies. Registration is $150.00 per person and is open through October 7. Details and registration information about Track 2 of ECL can be found at https://teocl.org/tracks/ECLT2.
- A set of threeCantor Series virtual workshops is being offered beginning October 15, 2019. Participants will gain liturgical knowledge, engage in spiritual growth, and enhance the musical skills needed to lead the assembly in prayer and song. The cost for all three workshops is $40.00 per person and registration is open until early October. Details and registration information https://ltp.org/products/details/VWCANP/cantor-series .
St Cyril Catholic Church, Wilsonville. Oregon: Music Coordinator
We are looking for a new part-time Music Coordinator and would like your help in spreading the word. The successful candidate will provide music for weekend Masses and for other church celebrations. The applicant will have knowledge and commitment to the mission of the parish and the Catholic Church, along with being proficient in his or her performance area. This candidate will serve on the Parish Liturgy Committee. Please send resume and cover letter along with salary requirements to: St. Cyril Catholic Church, 9205 SW 5th St, Wilsonville, OR 97070 Or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
St Francis Catholic Church, Sherwood, Oregon: Piano Accompanist
The parish is seeking a part-time piano accompanist to accompany up to two of our weekend masses. We are looking for an experienced pianist, who ideally has prior experience playing for a Catholic mass, a strong passion for music, and a desire to be an active participant in the music program. The ideal candidate would be available for one or two masses on Sunday (7:30am-9:30 am and/or 4:30pm-6:30pm). Compensation is negotiable per skill level and experience.
If interested, please submit a resume to Christa Weeks at email@example.com
See the Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon website for career opportunities: